Clear all

Advice needed - Visa and moving

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@javier)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about and looking into whether I can move to Australia to be closer to my sister. She married an Australian man in the UK and they moved to Australia 10 years ago. They have 2 kids and live near Sydney. I'm 43 and my wife is 40.

I'm my sister's brother and I live in Surrey, UK. Sadly, our mother passed away 2 months ago and I'm the only close family member my sister has left. I have 3 children - twin girls who are 8 and a boy who is 12. They don't have any first cousins in the UK. My wife is from Latvia and has a Latvian passport. She doesn't have any family in the UK either. Her family is in Latvia and France.

My wife is also studying a level 5 diploma in nutrition and health coaching through Well College Global, which is based in Sydney. She also has a diploma in Naturopathic Nutrition from the School of Modern Naturopathy, which I think is recognized in Australia.

I run a business in Surrey, UK with 17 employees. I would like to keep working on it remotely if I move, since I already work from home. I don't know if that's possible or if I would have to sell the company to get the money from it. Ideally, I'd like to expand my business in Australia and hire local people.

As a family, we currently have £360,000 in equity in our house and my business is worth some money. I could also take out some money to invest.

My nephew who lives in Australia wants to start a business with me if I move there.

Would we be accepted since I'm my sister's last close family member, or would someone be able to give us advice about other visas and applications?

(@flagspoin)

You're married, so your Australian relative isn't your last remaining relative. Instead of leaving such detailed personal information on a public forum, it would be better to talk to one of the registered MARA agents who give advice here and get professional guidance about your options. You're getting close to the upper age limit, so you'd better hurry up. You might want to ask a moderator to remove a lot of those details though - this is a public forum of random people.

ReplyQuote
(@naughtberrycollar)

One important thing to consider is your wife's status in the UK. If she isn't a UK citizen, would she need to be sponsored for a (very expensive) Spouse visa if you wanted to return?

ReplyQuote
(@javier)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @naughtberrycollar

One important thing to consider is your wife's status in the UK. If she isn't a UK citizen, would she need to be sponsored for a (very expensive) Spouse visa if you wanted to return?

She has a Latvian passport, not a British one. What do you mean by expensive?

ReplyQuote
(@hunterep)

Subclass 309/100 - AUD $8,850

The prices usually go up in July, but I'm not sure by how much.

I would suggest getting in touch with a migration agent to talk about your options. Most of them will offer a free initial consultation.

ReplyQuote
(@redflute)
Trusted Member

I'm guessing your wife has "indefinite leave to remain" in the UK? The thing is, "indefinite" doesn't actually mean indefinite. If she leaves the UK for more than two years in a row, she'll lose it. So if Australia doesn't work out and you decide to go back to the UK after a couple of years, you'll have to go through the whole process of getting a new UK spouse visa from scratch (and of course, that means meeting the financial and job requirements). I assume you've done it once before, so you know how it works.

ReplyQuote
(@daughflytta)

@hunterep This is the Australian partner visa, which doesn't apply to the original poster. Nemesis was referring to the UK visa, which has a savings or income requirement. 😊

But the original poster definitely needs to talk to an agent since age is working against them, and I don't think they will qualify for a remaining relative visa when everyone involved is married with children.

ReplyQuote
(@hunterep)

@daughflytta Oops, sorry for my mistake!

But yes, I totally agree. With age being against the original poster, an agent would be their best bet!

ReplyQuote
(@javier)
Topic starter  

She's been here since 2006, she just needs to get her UK passport sorted out. I'll be 44 in early July!

I guess I basically won't be able to get in. It's a matter of time and finding the right visa. I'm talking to a top agent on Wednesday.

My kids don't have any first cousins here. I stayed here for my mum, who sadly passed away in March. My sister left years ago. I couldn't leave my mum here alone. My father died when I was 20. My wife doesn't have any family here, they're in France and Latvia. So we don't have any close family apart from each other and our kids.

ReplyQuote
(@daughflytta)

Posted by: @javier

She's been here since 2006, she just needs to get her UK passport sorted out. I'll be 44 in early July!

I guess I basically won't be able to get in. It's a matter of time and finding the right visa. I'm talking to a top agent on Wednesday.

My kids don't have any first cousins here. I stayed here for my mum, who sadly passed away in March. My sister left years ago. I couldn't leave my mum here alone. My father died when I was 20. My wife doesn't have any family here, they're in France and Latvia. So we don't have any close family apart from each other and our kids.

As long as the agent is MARA registered, so they don't make promises they can't keep and take your money anyway. There are plenty of ill-informed shady people out there. They will be able to look at the exact details of your case and then at least you'll know for sure. There might be some pathway for you. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
Share: