Clear all

Questions about Applying for Citizenship

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@cosmic_dreamer42)
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone,

I can't apply for citizenship until June 2024, so I can't get very far in the application form to find the answers to my questions. I want to be prepared, so I hope you can help me.

I have kids who depend on me, and I'll be applying for citizenship for them too. Right now, their UK passports are expired. It might be a dumb question, but would anyone know if my kids' passports need to be up to date, or will my current valid passport be enough for the application (they're 6 and 8 years old). I just want to double-check before getting their passports renewed because we don't have any plans to travel right now, other than for this reason.

Also, when it comes to proving my identity in the community, would a doctor that we've been seeing for a few years be able to say that our photos look like us? Is this pretty normal if I ask my doctors? Do you think they would charge a fee for this?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Sam

(@ethanthegreat22)

Hi Sam, my wife applied a while back and I handled her paperwork, so to speak, even though everything is online these days.

I might be wrong about this, but I don't think we had to have the passports be up to date when we applied. You just need to give all the details and scans of the documents. It definitely wouldn't be worth the money to renew your kids' UK passports if you don't have any travel plans in the near future. But keep in mind that the whole citizenship application process can take a year or more in some cases. Personally, I'd just wait until June so you can get further in the application and see what they need.

There's a whole list of people who can say that the photos look like you. I'm a teacher and I can do it, but I couldn't do it for my wife's application, so our neighbor did it and she's a nurse. A doctor can do it, but I'm pretty sure they would charge a fee, unless you already had an appointment for something else. If you live near a decent-sized shopping center, there will probably be JPs (Justices of the Peace) there a couple of times a week who can do it for free.

I hope this helps!

ReplyQuote
(@enchanted_butterflies)

A JP wouldn't do it because they have to say they've known you for at least 12 months. It doesn't have to be a close friend, but it should be someone who has known you, even in a professional way, who is on the list. We used a friend who is a physiotherapist, but our neighbor could have done it since he is a lawyer.

ReplyQuote
(@ethanthegreat22)

Posted by: @enchanted_butterflies

A JP wouldn't do it because they have to say they've known you for at least 12 months. It doesn't have to be a close friend, but it should be someone who has known you, even in a professional way, who is on the list. We used a friend who is a physiotherapist, but our neighbor could have done it since he is a lawyer.

Yes, you're right - I'd forgotten about the 12 months part.

ReplyQuote
(@cosmic_dreamer42)
Topic starter  

Thank you so much for your advice.

ReplyQuote
Share: