Clear all

461 New Zealand Family Visa vs the 309/100 Visa

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
 inma
(@inma)
Topic starter  

Hey there! I'm hoping to get some guidance on the best visa to apply for. My partner and I have been together for 3 years. I'm from Ireland, and my partner is a New Zealand citizen. We're planning to move to Australia sometime in the next year or two. Right now, we live in New Zealand, so we'll be submitting our visa application from here, but we're just not certain which one to go for.

Could you explain the main differences between the 461 NZ family visa and the 309/100 visa? Is there any advantage to applying for one instead of the other?

Thank you so much for any information you can provide. I really appreciate your help!

(@redflute)
Trusted Member

You're only allowed to apply for a 309 visa if your partner is what they call "an eligible NZ citizen."

This doesn't mean just any person from New Zealand. It specifically refers to someone who was already living in Australia on or before February 26, 2001.

Does your partner meet that requirement? If they don't, then your only option is to apply for the 461 visa instead.

ReplyQuote
Share: