Notifications
Clear all

How Long It Takes to Get a Spouse Visa

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@bankro)
Topic starter  

I'm an Australian citizen, and I'm married to someone from Britain. We've been married for 18 years and have been living in the UK ever since we got married. Now, we want to move to Sydney and make it our permanent home because my parents are getting older and my husband's parents have passed away. We're planning to move in 2026 so that our kids can finish their schooling (we're waiting for our oldest to complete their A levels).

What I'm wondering is, should we apply for my husband's visa while we're still in the UK? If so, how long does it usually take to get a visa these days? Once we have the visa, is there a specific time frame in which we have to enter Australia? Also, would my husband get PR right away, or would he be on a temporary visa first? Thanks for your help with this.

Australia Made Simple
(@ams-migrate)
Member Admin

It depends. Not too long ago, visa applications from the UK were taking only 3 or 4 months to process. Right now, it seems like they've stretched out to about 12 months. It all comes down to how busy the immigration department is and which visas they're giving priority to.

Since you've been married for such a long time, it's highly likely that your husband will go straight to the PR version of the visa rather than the temporary one, but nobody can say that with 100% certainty.

If he does get the PR version, once his visa is granted, he will have one year from the date it was granted to activate his visa. That doesn't necessarily mean he has to make the big move right then and there. He just needs to land in Australia, go through Immigration, and then he can leave again. So, if you're planning a vacation, that's good enough. Once that's done, he has up to 5 years from the date the visa was granted (not the date it was activated) to make the permanent move to Australia.

ReplyQuote
(@redflute)
Trusted Member

The visa applications I've seen recently aren't taking nearly as long as that right now. And if you've been married for 18 years and have a teenage kid, then yeah, your husband will definitely get the permanent visa right off the bat.

ReplyQuote
(@bankro)
Topic starter  

Thanks a bunch! Is there any benefit to hiring a migration agent, or is the application process pretty simple and easy to do on your own? When I applied for my British visa, I remember having to provide a ton of different documents as proof. Is the process for applying to Australia kind of the same?

ReplyQuote
(@cetprospect)

When we applied for my partner visa at the end of May, it only took 7 weeks to get approved.

Our application was pretty simple and straightforward. We've been together for more than 15 years, we're married, and we have kids. We don't have any health problems or criminal records or anything like that. We probably could have done the application on our own, but since moving was so important to us, we decided it was worth it to use a migration agent just to make sure the whole process went smoothly without any problems. And it did.

You do need to provide a lot of different documents (stuff that proves your identity, financial information, and social connections), plus you and your husband have to write detailed statements, and you also need statements from friends and family members.

ReplyQuote
(@bankro)
Topic starter  

@cetprospect Thank you. It's good to hear that. We have 3 kids together and we don't have any health problems or criminal records. But, we don't own a house together (he owns one in his name and I own one in my name). Do you think that might be an issue? We also don't have any joint bank accounts because we like to keep our money separate from each other. Can you let me know if that could be a problem?

ReplyQuote
(@cetprospect)

We did have joint bank accounts, but we each owned a property in our own names. You don't have to have joint accounts, but from what I know, they do want to see that your money is connected in some way, even if it's just by making regular transfers to each other. It seems like it would be a good idea to at least have a first meeting with a migration agent so you can figure out the right way to show your information.

ReplyQuote
Share: