Notifications
Clear all

Immediate family members question but father is estranged

5 Posts
3 Users
1 Reactions
(@thehustlercitylights)
Topic starter  

I'm filling out the partner visa application and on page 12, it says to include any close family members. My partner doesn't know her biological father and we wouldn't be able to tell if he's still living. We also don't know his birthday. But he is named on her birth certificate.

The man who actually raised my partner is considered her dad, but he's not legally her father. She's also lost contact with him over the years.

In a way, my partner doesn't really have a father, or at least wouldn't think of either of these men as close family. Would it be alright to not include them on the application?

Thanks for any help you can give.

(@antstick)

Since her biological father is listed on her birth certificate, she can't leave him out completely. The best thing to do is fill in as much information as she knows about him. Then, she should also write a separate explanation that tells more about the situation. In the statement, she can explain that she doesn't really know him or have any contact with him, even though he's her legal father.

ReplyQuote
(@thehustlercitylights)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @antstick

Since her biological father is listed on her birth certificate, she can't leave him out completely. The best thing to do is fill in as much information as she knows about him. Then, she should also write a separate explanation that tells more about the situation. In the statement, she can explain that she doesn't really know him or have any contact with him, even though he's her legal father.

Not sure but I think this question is about health checks? These people aren't in my partner's life, so it probably doesn't apply to them - unless health issues that are passed down in families are something to think about.

The issue is that you can't give just a little bit of information when you add a family member. It doesn't let you. I don't really want to put in fake information about their birthday, if they're married or single, or if they're alive or not.

ReplyQuote
Australia Made Simple
(@ams-migrate)
Member Admin

Posted by: @thehustlercitylights

Not sure but I think this question is about health checks? These people aren't in my partner's life, so it probably doesn't apply to them - unless health issues that are passed down in families are something to think about.

The issue is that you can't give just a little bit of information when you add a family member. It doesn't let you. I don't really want to put in fake information about their birthday, if they're married or single, or if they're alive or not.

When you apply for a partner visa, they ask for your parents' information, no matter if there are health problems or not. Your parents would only have to get a health exam if they were moving with you as dependents, which they can't do. Australia asks you to list your parents as part of their background checks, and also in case your parents want to move to Australia later, with you or your partner sponsoring them. Write down what you know, and if you need to, add a separate piece of paper to explain anything else.

ReplyQuote
(@thehustlercitylights)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @ams-migrate

When you apply for a partner visa, they ask for your parents' information, no matter if there are health problems or not. Your parents would only have to get a health exam if they were moving with you as dependents, which they can't do. Australia asks you to list your parents as part of their background checks, and also in case your parents want to move to Australia later, with you or your partner sponsoring them. Write down what you know, and if you need to, add a separate piece of paper to explain anything else.

Thanks for explaining that. It seems like we'll have to leave them out of this section of the application and give a separate explanation instead.

ReplyQuote
Share: