Notifications
Clear all

Visitor Visa validity start time

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@cherryblossom_ninja)
Topic starter  

I am planning to apply for a visitor visa for my parents, but I'm not sure if it's possible for the visa to be granted and then, due to border restrictions, they can't enter Australia for a few months. When does the validity period for the visa begin - when it's granted, when they arrive in Australia, or does immigration provide a specific date for the last entry?

(@redflute)
Trusted Member

Why do you think they will grant a visitor visa?

ReplyQuote
(@cherryblossom_ninja)
Topic starter  

To be honest, I have no idea if they can or will grant a visitor visa. I'm just asking if anyone knows whether immigration can grant a visa before opening the border or not.

ReplyQuote
(@redflute)
Trusted Member

You can apply for the visa, and then you apply for a travel exemption using the visa application reference number. You will need to provide compelling reasons why they need to enter Australia.

ReplyQuote
(@zenmastermike)

Because you won't be able to travel even if the visa is granted, they're not granting any visitor visas (or similar temporary visas) at the moment unless you first obtain a travel exemption associated with that particular visa application.

ReplyQuote
(@cherryblossom_ninja)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @redflute

You can apply for the visa, and then you apply for a travel exemption using the visa application reference number. You will need to provide compelling reasons why they need to enter Australia.

Ah, this makes sense. Thank you. 🙂

Posted by: @zenmastermike

Because you won't be able to travel even if the visa is granted, they're not granting any visitor visas (or similar temporary visas) at the moment unless you first obtain a travel exemption associated with that particular visa application.

I think you are right. Thank you. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@redflute)
Trusted Member

But to answer the original question, a visitor visa is valid from the date of issue.

ReplyQuote
(@cherryblossom_ninja)
Topic starter  

Thank you. By the way, will it be valid for a year (if granted for a year) from the first entry into Australia or from the grant date?

ReplyQuote
Australia Made Simple
(@ams-migrate)
Member Admin

The visa is valid from the grant date. Read the conditions carefully, as they usually say it's valid for multiple entries with stays up to three months, for one year. So if it's granted on August 1st, you could be in Australia for three months starting from September, and then re-enter any time until July 31st. This effectively gives you a year and three months. But as I said, read the details carefully because they can vary.

ReplyQuote
(@redflute)
Trusted Member

Visitor visas can be surprisingly complex in terms of validity periods, and lots of people do get caught off guard by this.

ReplyQuote
Share: