Notifications
Clear all

Balancing Personal Finances and Family Support

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@tangotangerine)
Topic starter  

I'm struggling to balance my own expenses and saving goals in Australia with the financial support I provide to my family in the Philippines. Any advice on how to manage this better?

(@teaabell1835)

I completely understand the challenge of wanting to support your family back home while also trying to build a life for yourself in Australia. One thing that has helped me is setting clear financial boundaries and communicating them with my family.

I sat down with my parents and siblings and had an open conversation about what I could realistically afford to send them each month. We worked together to create a budget that prioritized their most essential needs, like food, housing, and healthcare. It wasn't easy, but having that transparency and understanding on both sides has made a big difference.

ReplyQuote
(@earthyngc1569)

One approach that has worked for me is treating my financial support to my family as a line item in my own budget. Each month, I allocate a specific amount to send home, just like I would for rent, groceries, or any other expense.

This helps me ensure that I'm not overextending myself financially and that I'm still able to meet my own savings goals and obligations in Australia. It also gives me a clear picture of how much I can realistically afford to send, so I don't feel guilty or pressured to give more than I'm able.

ReplyQuote
(@deeroldeuboi)

Something to consider is whether there are any government programs or community organizations in the Philippines that could help support your family's needs. For example, are there any subsidies or assistance programs for low-income families, senior citizens, or individuals with disabilities?

Doing some research and connecting your family with local resources could help ease some of the financial burden on you while still ensuring they're getting the support they need.

ReplyQuote
(@whiplashvoyager1)

Another option is to look for ways to increase your own income in Australia, so you have more flexibility in your budget for supporting your family. Are there any opportunities for overtime or additional shifts at your current job? Could you take on a part-time job or start a side hustle to bring in extra money each month?

Even small increases in your income can make a big difference in your ability to balance your own expenses and your family's needs.

ReplyQuote
Share: