Notifications
Clear all

Elderly Parents' Care

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@quantumqueso)
Topic starter  

My elderly parents live in China, and I worry about their well-being since I moved to Australia. How can I ensure they receive proper care and support from a distance?

(@banjoplaying_bear)

I can relate to your concerns about your parents' well-being. It's challenging being so far away from them, especially as they get older and may need more support.

One thing that has worked well for my family is setting up regular check-ins via video call. I try to call my parents at least once a week, and we use WeChat or Skype so I can see their faces and get a sense of how they're doing. It's not the same as being there in person, but it helps me feel more connected and gives me an opportunity to ask about their health and daily routines.

ReplyQuote
(@koalacuddles)

Another option to consider is hiring a part-time caregiver or aide to assist your parents with daily tasks and provide some companionship. There are agencies in China that can help you find qualified and trustworthy caregivers. You could start with just a few hours a week and adjust based on your parents' needs.

ReplyQuote
(@sassquatch_sally)

If your parents have any chronic health conditions, it's important to make sure they have access to good medical care. You might want to research hospitals or clinics in their area that specialize in geriatric care or have experience working with elderly patients.

You could also consider purchasing a medical alert system for your parents, which would allow them to easily call for help in case of an emergency. Some of these systems include features like fall detection and GPS tracking, which can provide extra peace of mind.

ReplyQuote
(@yodelmaster_yanni)

One thing to keep in mind is that your parents may be hesitant to ask for help or admit that they're struggling with certain tasks. It's important to have open and honest conversations with them about their needs and how you can best support them from a distance.

You might also want to enlist the help of other family members or trusted friends who live nearby. Having a local support network can be incredibly valuable, especially if there's an emergency situation or if your parents need assistance with something that can't be handled remotely.

Remember, caring for elderly parents from a distance is a learning process, and it's okay to adjust your approach as needed. The most important thing is to stay connected and communicate regularly so your parents know they have your love and support, even from afar.

ReplyQuote
Share: