Clear all

Special cases where you don't have to meet the usual living requirements

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@powleysmanistee)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

I can apply for my Australian citizenship on September1st because that will be 4 years since I started living in the country on a valid visa.

The problem is that my dad, who lives back in the UK, was just told he has cancer and doesn't have long to live. I want to leave soon to be with him while I still can.

Does anyone know if there's a way to apply for special circumstances so I don't have to meet the usual living requirements? I'm 4 months away from meeting them, but I probably won't be able to stay until June. This also means I would need to apply for my citizenship this month.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

(@redflute)
Trusted Member

As far as I know, there's no special exception for that. You'll just have to get a Resident Return Visa to cover you until you come back to Australia.

ReplyQuote
(@hostisjemmy)

Just wait to apply for citizenship until you get back to Australia. It's not like you'll never be able to get it, it will just be a little later than you could have. Your dad is more important right now.

ReplyQuote
(@ubsfreez)

Based on what I've seen before, once you leave Australia (go overseas), your citizenship application will basically be put on hold. The people processing it won't work on your application until you come back to Australia.

But don't worry about it. As soon as you submit your application, you don't have to think about the residency requirements anymore. Just remember to get the Resident Return Visa before you leave.

ReplyQuote
(@vertemaol)

The possible problem, though, is about how much time you're allowed to be out of the country. In the last year before you apply, you can only be away for 30 days.

So if you leave now, you would have to be back by late June. If not, you'll have to wait another year until you can say you've been in Australia for 12 months in a row with only 1 month out of the country.

ReplyQuote
(@chaargue)

The rules are that you must have been in Australia for 4 years, with no more than a total of 1 year away during that time. In the last year, you can't be away for more than 90 days total (not 30).

To meet the general residence requirement, when you apply, you must have:

• been living in Australia on a valid visa for the past 4 years
  • been a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen for the past 12 months
  • been away from Australia for no more than 12 months in total in the past 4 years, including no more than 90 days in total in the past 12 months

ReplyQuote
(@vertemaol)

I remembered it wrong. Those rules seem a lot better.

ReplyQuote
Share: