Notifications
Clear all

What citizens need to get a RRV

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@oinkerandreafsky)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, I have a question for you. I first got my permanent residency (PR) in 1999, but since I didn't live in Australia for as long as I needed to, I wasn't given a RRV.

I appealed this decision in 2022, and by the end of that year, I was granted my RRV. I moved to Australia in September 2023.

What I want to know is, for my citizenship application, is my PR considered from the date I first got it (November 2003) or from the date I was granted the RRV?

Thanks in advance for your help.

(@defodioworkshop)

You have to be living in Australia legally for 4 years right before you apply for citizenship, so you can apply in September 2027. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more than me will be able to help, but I think that's right.

ReplyQuote
(@oinkerandreafsky)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the response. I think that's how most people understand the law for PR granted after 2007.

Since my original PR was granted in 2003, I want to know which date matters more. Because before 2007, the requirement was only 2 years.

ReplyQuote
(@redflute)
Trusted Member

Yes, but you didn't take advantage of that rule back then. The law has changed now, and the new law applies to you just like it does to everyone else.

I can't find any government website that says the current 4-year residency requirement only applies to people who got their PR after 2007.

ReplyQuote
Share: