Notifications
Clear all

What licenses and registrations do you need to be a Technical Cable Jointer?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@whitejackstay)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I'm 28 years old, from Britain, and I work as an HV/LV cable jointer. I've been doing this job for 8 years now. My girlfriend and I visited Australia for a year on a Working Holiday Visa (WHV), and we really wanted to come back and live there permanently. At the end of last year, I applied for the Skilled Independent Visa 189 as a technical cable jointer, and I was so happy when I got approved for the visa in early May! We've already bought our plane tickets for July 29th, 2024, and we can't wait to start our new life in Australia.

When I arrive in Australia, I want to be ready to start applying for jobs right away, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind of licenses or registrations I need to work as a Technical Cable Jointer in Victoria. I've sent emails to a bunch of different Distributors and to the ESI scheme, but so far, no one has sent me back any useful information. I would really appreciate any help you can give me about what steps I need to take to be ready to apply for jobs either before I get there or as soon as I arrive.

When I applied for the visa, I had to do a migration skills assessment. Does this assessment count for anything moving forward, or was it just something I needed to do for the visa application?

Thanks so much,

Jake

(@sparklinginterea)

Check out these links to see if they can help you figure out what you need to do to get licensed in Vic. Unfortunately, the skills assessment you did for your visa application won't really mean much once you're here in Australia.

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/licensing-and-registrations/electrical-licences/interstate-overseas-and-defence-force-applicants/overseas-applicants

https://esv.vic.gov.au/licensing-coes/electrical-licences/electricians-licence/

https://www.gooduniversitiesguide.com.au/careers-guide/browse/cable-jointer

ReplyQuote
(@whitejackstay)
Topic starter  

Thanks for getting back to me. I sent them an email today, so I'm hoping they'll respond with some answers.

ReplyQuote
(@righteousskoller)

Posted by: @whitejackstay

When I arrive in Australia, I want to be ready to start applying for jobs right away, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind of licenses or registrations I need to work as a Technical Cable Jointer in Victoria. I've sent emails to a bunch of different Distributors and to the ESI scheme, but so far, no one has sent me back any useful information. I would really appreciate any help you can give me about what steps I need to take to be ready to apply for jobs either before I get there or as soon as I arrive.

Hey there, I'm in a pretty similar situation as you. I'm just curious if you had to take the skilled test or if it was only something you needed for your visa application. Also, did you get your skill assessment done through TRA?

I'd really appreciate any information you can share with me!

ReplyQuote
(@redflute)
Trusted Member

@righteousskoller The skills test is only for the visa application. Employers in Australia don't really care about it.

ReplyQuote
Share: